Special Torta Cebuano
(Makes 12 Tortas)
¼ c. Water
¼ c. Sugar
1 Condensed Milk
1 Cup evaporated milk or 1 cup fresh cream
½ c. Butter
½ c. Vegetable oil
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
350g Plain Flour
A pinch of Anise Powder
10 Egg Yolks
1. Boil Sugar and water for 5 minutes, set aside to cool.
2. In a bowl beat Egg Yolks with a wooden spoon until smooth.
3. Add sugared water, Butter and Vegetable Oil and continue stirring.
4. Add Condensed Milk and Fresh Cream and mix slowly until well blended.
5. Stir in sifted Flour, Baking Powder and salt until just well mixed. (Don’t over beat).
6. Pour batter into wax paper lined Torta mould and then tap the Torta mould a couple of times on a hard
surface to get rid of air bubbles.
7. Bake in a preheated oven little below the center and bake at 180°C or 350°F for 25-30 minutes or when a
toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. If desired brush top of the Torta with margarine and sprinkle with Caster Sugar
This is considerably quite a rich recipe and yet simple and tasty that almost anyone can make.
If you haven’t got the Torta moulds you can use the big deep muffin tins greased and lined.
Back home in the Philippines a Torta requires anise powder and the batter is raised by coconut wine or tuba instead of baking powder that gives its distinct aroma and flavor and it is common to use lard-mantika sa baboy and this will give a different taste to the Torta.
Number of visits on previous website: 2524